So, for $17 I was able to get:
– about 25 knitting pattern books, nothing newer than about 1980, but the bag included
– one 1939 Lux knitting pattern book (original price 39cents for 54 patterns); it’s not in great shape but most of the pattern pages are still usable
– one 1951 and one 1952 Lux pattern book (by this time they had made the format much more compact; both in pretty good shape
- about 30 sewing patterns (just a few shown here)
- including quite a few of those you used to order out of the newspaper (anyone else remember those days?)
- oh for the days when Simplicity patterns cost 35 cent
A really interesting thing is the sizing: a 1958 McCalls size 14 was for a 34″ bust; the 1953 Simplicity size 13 (shown in the second photo below, middle row, far right) was for a 31″ bust. The Simplicity pattern sizes were actually size 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18 ranging in bust size from 29″ to 36″.
Ahhhh, treasures to pore over for many a day!